24 March 2013

Gratitude

Politeness, gratitude, the willingness to apologise and friendliness - these are the traits of the Japanese that probably will survive Westernisation.  Dr Huffman's interesting article in the Japan Times thinks so, anyway.

I thought those values were Western as well, until I read the article.  Then I realise that I have not heard people saying "thank you" as often now as I used to.  The thanks is often just assumed.

The four traits described are related, I think.  It is polite to express one's gratitude, and to apologise when one has caused offence, or potential offence.  Such politeness is only friendly.

I learnt these values in English when I was a child.  Many other people did as well.  However, these values seem to have deteriorated to a certain extent in today's Western society.  As we find ourselves more egoistic, more rushed for time, and more multicultural, we assume the same politeness without expressing it as much compared to the "good old days".

Such is my observation anyway.  What do you think?

Randi Zukerberg seems to agree with me.  Her post said that "Just Because We’re Time Starved Doesn’t Mean We Should Be Rude".

I found her post challenging, as I struggle with time.  There are thank-you cards that I should write, but have not found time to do.  I have filled my time pretty much to the max, and need to catch up on some tasks like that.  How about you?

Should we make more time to be less busy, to reflect and to say "thank you" for the blessings we have received?  Why or why not?  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do most people take other people's kindness for granted?

    ReplyDelete