23 July 2013

The Good Samaritan

Luke 10:25-37 is a parable that Jesus told to explain love to a lawyer.  In a nutshell, the story is about a man who was beaten up by robbers and left for dead.  A priest and a Levite passed by the wounded man but offered no help.  They may have been in a hurry and did not want to be contaminated with the blood of the wounded.  Then a Samaritan passed by.  The Samaritans were considered as racial outcasts by the Jews.  Yet this Samaritan took time to bandage the wounds of the man, put him on his donkey, took him to an inn keeper for care, and promised to pay for the man's care - even though he did not know the man.  He did it out of pity.  Pity that was translated to love.

When I read this story again tonight, I remembered that I had a similar experience to this wounded man, although not quite so bad.

I was crossing the road on foot one day, when an army truck hit me.  I fell, then picked myself up and managed to get to the other side of the road.  I did not realise I was bleeding until people around told me to stop walking.  Most people just continued on their way, just like the priest and the Levite in the Bible story.  Then a man stopped his car and offered to take me to hospital.  He did not worry that I may mess up his car, as some other people might have.  The man was a Muslim, if the clues from the stickers in his car were to be believed.

As I remembered this experience, I thought of the animosity that some Muslims and Christians have against each other.  Is this similar to what the Jews used to have towards the Samaritans?  Yet, as used by God, kindness does get shown.

In this holy month of Ramaddan, while the Muslims fast during the day, let the Christians pray for them - that there be love and kindness, and that God is seen to be real.

Will you join me to in such prayer?  Why or why not?  What specifically would you pray for?

May God bless you in your prayers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment