03 September 2013

Secular vs. scripture

I noticed a few areas where the values of society is different from what the scripture says.  I suppose this is why Christians talk about the difference between sacred and secular, between the Church and the world.  Let me list a few of these differences, as I remember them tonight:
  • Scriptures advise us to make our money slowly.  The world wishes for instant profit.
  • People want to keep their riches for themselves.  The Bible says we should remember to share with the poor.
  • Society says to put "me" first.  Look after number one.  Do what "I" want.  It is all about me and for me.  Scriptures says to put God first.  We are to honour Him.
  • We are taught to think positively.  We can do it.  Scriptures tell us to think humbly.  God gave me the strength.
  • Many people think that it doesn't matter what you do, so long as you don't hurt anyone, and so long that you don't get caught.  The Bible tells us to live more uprightly than this.  Be holy, as God is holy.
Can you add to this list?

What does this mean to you?  Would you follow after society's values?  Or Scriptures?

How do you reconcile the differences?  How do you hold them in tension?

Has the church gotten it wrong?  Or has society gotten it wrong?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment